At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in.
We are looking for an experienced, inventive Concept Artist to join the leadership team of our New IP Studio to help us build a new, digital game-centered franchise. This role will be responsible for contributing to the overall visual style and tone for the project—as well as creating fun, innovative visual concepts. Our world is vibrant, fun, and full of energy. Dark themes are great for other games, but our Concept Artist must love color and thrive on telling the story of the world with iconic silhouettes and minimalistic adornment. The Concept artist will collaborate with other departments to hit visual targets, and work together to orchestrate creative solutions that help us meet our goal of crafting an amazing new game and world.
This person will have strong skills in driving concept and reference art, in both 2D and/or 3D, together with an understanding of technical pipelines and familiarity with optimizing and implementing art assets for game engines. This person will also be a contributor to the growth, culture, and ultimate success of the studio!
What You'll Do:
- Work with other creatives on the team to create the vision and overall tone for our new game.
- Concept characters (creatures, humans) in a stylized cartoony style.
- Provide sketches, color and texture layouts, turnarounds, and other documentation and concepts.
- May be asked to concept art for environments, buildings, and other parts of the game as needed.
- Provide feedback and solutions for asset creation and outsource art.
- Balance creative vision with production realities.
- Collaborate with technical artists, designers and programmers to develop efficient and productive art pipelines and establish metrics which ensure artistic goals are met within technical performance targets.
- Work closely with Narrative to ensure designs embody the intended personality of characters, looking for ways to add humor and fun through visual execution.
- Be an active mentor, leader and role model for the art team as we grow.
- Work to maintain morale and create an atmosphere of creativity and enthusiasm.
What You'll Bring:
- 2 or more years of concept experience.
- College Degree in art, animation, video game development or equivalent experience.
- Concentration in Environment Concept art or Character Art.
- Excellent communication skills (spoken and written).
- Positive influence and leadership skills - Motivates and encourages others to generate new ideas.
- Experience with early phase project development and ideation.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating a high level of artistic creativity in one or more game art disciplines.
- Expert knowledge of drawing and 3D programs.
- Proven ability to balance aesthetics with performance and usability.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.